18 January 2015

Midnight snack + movie + romantic jazz = lazy weekend

The problem with working night shifts is, you are perpetually confused on weekends. Should I sleep the whole day off and stay awake at night? Or should I utilise the day to complete pending work from the week and sleep at night? But then if I sleep on Saturday and Sunday night, I won't get sleep on Monday morning. I will be awake all day and in the evening I gotta work!


I won't talk about the solution. I have given up finding one just because it's the same story every weekend.


I just follow my whims, basically.

So, today I read a book. Mystery thriller. I love those. Then had dinner while still reading it. Kept reading it till late in the night. By the time I got bored of reading more, I was hungry.

So out comes a piece of cheese, a big helping of flavoured cheese-spread (yeah, I love eating all the yummy things) and a large bunch of grapes. It has to have the accompaniment of a nice movie. I decided on Gosford Park.

Story based in early 1930s, old English countryside, large mansion, too many servants, titled people.....the whole nine yards. Well, this is not a review for the movie. I am just a sucker for all the British-landed-gentry-melodrama stories. I love watching Downton Abbey.

I get totally lost in these period dramas. The life seems so totally removed from reality. These people are always getting dressed to the nines, looking pretty, hosting dinners and hunting parties and soirees and never have to do a single day's hard work. They have a posse of servants working for them! Imagine someone hovering over you, helping you wear your clothes and accessories and then end of the day, hovering over you, helping you undress!! Creepy!

Yeah well, each to his (or her) own. Can't deny that the movie had lovely music. I especially got thoroughly lost in the melody of  "The Land of Might-Have-Been" – Ivor Novello (Sung by Jeremy Northam). It plays twice, once during the movie and again during the end titles.

Beautiful, soulful.........this song took me back to sunlit summer afternoons, laidback days, daydreaming and lounging. With nothing to worry about. No responsibilities. Life, when it used to be brimful of promise and everything was right with my world. And I am still lost in that world of dreams.


"We shall never find that lovely land of Might-have-been;
I can never be your king, nor you can be my Queen;
Days may pass, and years may pass,
And seas may lie between;
We shall never find that lovely land of Might-have-been."

--------------By Ivor Novello, 1924

----Courtesy - https://chandlerozconsultants.wordpress.com/2012/08/17/the-land-of-might-have-been-britain-1936-37-chapter-one-the-road-to-the-berlin-olympiad/

2 comments:

Followers